Friday, February 29, 2008

Don't let them miss the message

I am sometimes (ok, maybe often) a little louder than the average person. You may be thinking that I shouldn't care, as long as I don't offend anyone and stay true to who I am - and I agree. One problem, my MESSAGE may get lost as some people get distracted by my tone and pace.

Since it is very important to me that people don't miss the message being deliver, I do my best to tell them what to expect, up front, when seeing me for the first time.

You should do the same with your customers. It may not be that you speak loud and fast, but soft and slow, which can be just as irritating for some. The bottom line is that when first impressions are being formed, it is critical that the "right" connection is made. If you have a delivery that you think may "frustrate" or "intimidate" the other individual, just give them a heads up as what to expect so your message is not lost. Or, you always have the option to adapt and adjust to the other person's preferrred style of communication - just don't lose your "it" factor along the way.

No comments: